How do you clean or remove stains on your Alcantara?
When a spill happens, act immediately (within 30 minutes) and treat the stain from the outside edge into the centre in order to avoid the stain spreading. Never pour a cleaning product directly onto Alcantara. Before removing the stain, remove any of the substance that has fallen on the upholstery: if it’s thick such as yoghurt or jam, use a spoon or a plastic spatula. If it’s liquid, use non-printed absorbent paper or a sponge. Avoid rubbing the stain to prevent the stain from spreading or going deep into the material. Use a white cloth or a well wrung sponge for the removal of the stains. If you use a sponge, make sure to rinse it in clean water and wring it well between each wipe.
For the specific treatment of the different types of stains and materials that should be used, use the following instructions.
When you encounter water-soluble stains, use water, lemon juice, or pure ethyl alcohol (from liquors). More, follow the instructions below based on the stain type:
- Fruit juice, jam, jelly, syrup, ketchup: use lukewarm water, rinse by dabbing with clean water.
- Blood, egg, excrement, urine: use cold water and avoid warm water because warm water makes these substances coagulate. Also, you should rinse by dabbing with clean water.
- Liquors, alcoholic beverages, wine, beer, coke and tea: use lukewarm water. If the colour mark remains, treat it with lemon juice and then rinse it well.
- Indelible pencil, cocoa, chocolate, pastry with cream or chocolate, ice-cream, mustard: use lukewarm water and rinse by dabbing with clean water.
- Vinegar, hair gel, tomato sauce, coffee with sugar: use lemon juice and then wipe with lukewarm water. Make sure to rinse by dabbing with clean water.
Stains not soluble in water
It is recommended that you should use the specific products for Alcantara cleaning; if the products listed below are not available, use water, or lemon juice or pure ethyl alcohol, based on the stain type, and use the instructions below.
- Lipstick, foundation, mascara, eye-shadow, perfume, shoe polish, oil and grease in general, grass stains and felt tips in general (including indelible kinds): rub with ethyl alcohol and then with water and rinse. For grass stains and felt tips, act as soon as possible in order to prevent them from becoming too dry.
- Chewing-gum and wax: put a plastic bag full of ice on the stain. When the chewing-gum or wax becomes hard, remove the piece and then treat the stain with ethyl alcohol.
Repeat the above described treatments as often as necessary. Even the stains that are not soluble in water often require to be treated afterwards with water.
Old stains of unknown origin
Start with lukewarm water, then rinse by dabbing them with clean water. If you see that the stain begins to dissolve in the water, repeat the treatment until the stain is gone. Then, let it dry and, if necessary, treat with ethyl alcohol.
Check out our wide selection of Alcantara for headliners and dashboards, seats, and steering wheels, perforated Alcantara, Ferrari OEM leather, and Maserati OEM leather.